Many people will tell you that they don’t eat healthy because it is expensive, but I disagree, I believe that you can eat healthy on a budget. With preparation and planning healthy food can be just as inexpensive as food that is unhealthy. Many families have moved away from cooking at home and packing left overs to take with them, which is one reason why they believe healthy food is more expensive. Let’s break down a healthy meal price versus an unhealthy meal price and just why healthy always wins.
Hamburger Helper is very popular amongst families on a budget because it is cheap and fast. The American-based Food Network listed Hamburger Helper as number three in its list of the top five fad foods of the 1970s and it is still popular today. We know cheap and fast is not always good, especially in regards to hamburger helper. It lacks the nutrients that an adult and child needs. It’s filled with simple carbohydrates that your body will store as fat if it is unable to use it as energy as well as partially hydrogenated oils
UNHEALTHY FOOD STAMP CHOICE
Hamburger Helper Cheesy Nacho ($7.00) with meat added for 5 servings 1 Cup each:
• 330 calories prepared for 1 Cup
• 560mg sodium prepared for 1 Cup
• 31g carbohydrates
• 2g sugars
• 3g protein
• Enriched Macaroni(not wheat at all lacks nutrients)
• Partially hydrogenated soybean oil (trans fats), known to increase the risk of coronary heart failure by raising bad cholesterol levels and lowering good cholesterol levels.
It says 5, 1 cup serving, but how many cups does one person in your family actually eat.
HEALTHY FOOD STAMP CHOICE
Turkey and Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Tomato sauce and veggies ($20.00) 7 serving 1Cup Each:
• 99/1 Extra Lean Turkey Jennie O(20oz)(great source of lean protein)
• Olive Oil(good healthy fat)
• Whole Wheat Spaghetti Noodles(barilla plus) Packed with the protein, omega-3s, and fiber you (14oz box)7 servings
• Fresh Tomatoes blended in blender(packed with vitamins)
• Fresh Onions (packed with vitamins)
• Fresh Bell peppers(packed with vitamins)
• Fresh Mushrooms(packed with vitamins)
• Fresh Onion(packed with vitamins)
• Mrs. Dash Garlic & HERB Seasoning salt-free
• no msg
Although, the actual price upfront for the healthier choice is more expensive the cost over the long term is less. You can use the olive oil and seasoning for other dishes. You can also wrap the left over vegetables and use them for other dishes as well. Remember cheap and fast is not always the best option for your family healthy food options may cost more up front, but in the long run they stretch farther and are so much better for you.